The Shady Grove School was in the Day Community in the extreme northeastern corner of Izard County. Sessions began around 1880 in a log building which was replaced by another log building a little later. Eventually, a one-room framed structure was built and can be seen below. A later addition was obviously added.
We were told an interesting story about this building. It once stood nearly a half-mile away across a hollow but was moved to where it is currently located. Men from the community jacked-up the building, placed round logs beneath it, then rolled it down one hill, across the drywash, and up the other side of the hollow to where it now feebly stands...neglected, sadly.