Monday, March 30, 2009

Sam Colter Mill & Farm

The Sam Colter Mill and Farmstead lies just south of Melbourne. Mr. Colter ran one of the last operating Grist-Mills in the county out of a little mill-house on his farm. He ground corn for people all around the area using his belt-driven mill which was powered by an old pick-up truck motor. A steam-powered saw-mill once stood near the home and provided the lumber to build the house and out-buildings.

The home was built in 1877.

Vintage photos used by kind permission of the Sartin Family.

Video Below!

















4 comments:

Unknown said...

Refer to comments made.

Evelyn (Vaughn) Speirs said...

I miss when myself and my siblings would get to go to Poppy Colter's home. My sister Carla (Vaughn) Moser and myself would find our way up into one of Poppy's barns where he would have his peanuts drying and eat peanuts till we got sick. The watercress down at the spring below his home always tasted sweeter than anywhere else. I would be given permission to go hunting for chicken nests and bring the eggs we found to the house so Mama Colter could use them to cook with. Poppy, at Christmas time, would have a gigantic peppermint stick and he would whack us off a piece for each one of us kids. Great memories. Thank you for taking me down memory lane. Evelyn (Vaughn) Speirs

Evelyn (Vaughn) Speirs said...

I made a mistake....it was Aunt Maggie who did all the cooking.

Evelyn (Vaughn) Speirs said...

Her name was Aunt Mag.