The Watkins Cemetery is on property once part of the Watkins Plantation near "Wild Haws" (present-day Lacrosse). Three brothers migrated to the Izard County area from Williamson County Tn in 1844 to collectively build the largest plantation in the county owning the greatest number of slaves. Nearby once stood one of the most impressive plantation homes in North Central Arkansas, a two-story brick structure built by slaves with materials manufactured on the plantation. We have been told that there are still some of the original Watkins Plantation buildings standing in the area and intend to track them down. Rick remembers visiting one of the slave quarters as a child before it was dismantled. It stood within yards of the cemetery shown here.
Note - There is a home just east of Melbourne along State Highway 69S built from the brick once used in the old plantation house.