The Rector Log Barn is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built by the slaves owned by Joseph W. Rector sometime prior to the Civil-War and is constructed of large 6 by 12 logs. Some beams in the roof structure are even larger. The barn, complete with loft, has been covered with tin and has had a lean-to built completely around it to protect the important historical treasure from the elements. More labor of the slaves who worked this land is apparent in the terraced hillsides surrounding the barn.
J. W. Rector, a prominent figure in Izard County's history, moved to Izard County from Kentucky in 1852 with his wife, Anne Cooper. He joined Col. Robert Glenn Shaver's 7th Arkansas Infantry as a 3rd Lieutenant and participated in the forgotten but bloody Battle of Perryville near Perryville Kentucky in 1862. He is listed as Surveyor for Izard County during the 1862-1864 term. J.W. bought land in Palo Pinto County, Texas and moved there in 1885.
K. W. (Kansas) Rector , son of Joseph W. Rector, continued to farm the land after his father moved away. A son of K.W,. Samuel Bingham Rector, trained as a pharmacist opening a thriving business at Heber Springs in Cleburne County. Samuel (Sam) Rector was also influential in establishing the Arkansas National Bank (now Heber Springs State Bank), the largest bank in Heber Springs, Samuel Bingham's home is currently under nomination to also be included on the National Register of Historic Places.